Sunday, November 12, 2006

Adventures of a Yarn Snob and Bar Wench


Hey All,
Long time reader, first time poster. . .

I guess I think I have something to say.
I'm sure that this whole blog will be nothing but the rantings of someone with more to do than hours to do it in, this will be a place I can vent to like minded people.

I'm Ginny.
Nice to meet you.

My title says adventures of a yarn snob and a bar wench.
Please let me elaborate on that.

I'm a yarn snob. I won't use yarn with acrylic in it. I know there are some great yarns that have a bit of acrylic in them and they are very nice. I've knit before with them and even have a great pair of sox made with an acrylic/wool blend. They look great and wear well and make my feet sweat. So I don't use it.
I'm also a needle snob. Addi Turbos ONLY for me. Expensive so I end up saving for them (I buy them in pairs as I do toe up, two at a time, on two circs) but they are the best needles out there. I gave all my other needles to the schools my kids go to.

I'm a bar wench. I (and my husband) own a bar and grill outside Boulder, CO. It's not the greatest job in the world. It's really pretty hard. I'd sell it to the first person who wanted to buy it. Sometimes if you tune in here, my rant may not be on yarn or my lastest knitting project, but what a bad day I had at work. OK, it's not that bad. Some days I really enjoy my job. BUT like most others, some days the bar has me wanting to pull my hair out, spin it with wool, and knit sox out of it. I'm sure you understand. . .




Top picture is my first sox with a pattern in it. It's a basketweave that looks really cool in the Lorna's Laces Girly Stripe. I love the shoes, right from the 80's ( never throw things away) and they show my cool socks.

The green above are a pair that I did for my son. The green is Pine and the other is Camo both from Lorna's Laces. I caught him running around in the street with these on and no shoes!! I took them away for a month and gave them back. He wore them out about the same time he outgrew them.




Baby sox are my favorite way to use up the last bits of yarn after making something. I do these and keep them in a drawer for when someone has a new baby.


Well, all for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I too, am a fibre snob. After several years of existing on making mediocre knitted things with department store offerings, I now refuse to use acrylic.

Closest I come to man-made fibre is a bit of nylon in some sock yarns, but even then I tend to prefer 100% wool for socks, just like in the good ole days :)

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home